And it was that the oven is trying to kill me and I am never going to cook on it again. I guess I should start from the very beginning. I was trying to cook chicken parmesan and had the noodles cooking on the stove top and the chicken in the oven. Well I opened up the oven to see if the chicken was done and saw that the lite had went out. Kinda funny since the stove top was working so I went to lite it. The next thing I knew there was a huge fireball that was racing by my face and head. I never screamed. I think I was just in shock. The next thing I knew Ricky ran in and asked me if I was ok and looked me over real quick. He was in the bedroom studying with the door open. I thought I was because I didn't feel any pain, then the pain started to come roaring to my hands. I then started to cry because the pain was awful. Ricky put a dish towel on my hands that he had wet under the faucet but that caused me more pain. Ricky then ran upstairs to the boys apartment to ask them what to do. They told him to put aloe on my hands, so that is what he did. That didn't help and about that time the boys came downstairs to investigate. Nick brought some small burn cream packs and he and Ricky applied that to my hands after they removed the aloe from my hands. Nick then told me that I needed to get my wedding band off my finger. Ricky tried but he just couldn't get it off and I was in so much pain that I pulled it off real quick and it dropped and rolled near that damned oven. Nick then told us that he had heard this terrible sound and now he knew where it came from. They looked my hands over and noticed that they were very pale. The bottom of the oven had shot up and was lodged under the oven rack that was above it. The boys leave and Ricky gets me sat down on the couch. I had to get him to turn off all the fans in the room because the littlest bit of wind caused me so much pain.
Nick comes back down a little while later and looks at my hands again. They are now really swollen and Nick says that I burned the pigment off of them. My hands never turned red like the other burns I have had before, like touching a hot oven rack or picking up a hot pan. I would have put my hands in a pot of boiling water because I swear it would have felt better than what I was experiencing. I now understand why they give burn patients morphine and put them in a drug induced coma. It is definitely the worst pain that I have ever had including one surgery where I had a year of nerve pain. This is a constant, non forgiving pain. Being pregnant did not help. I wasn't able to take any of the strong ones that I had here at the house because it was not safe for the baby. So Ricky finally gave me one of my pain pills that my ob gave me for my headaches. Nothing made this pain any less.
He ended up finishing up dinner and we ate it together with him having to feed me since any movement caused me great pain. Later Ricky told me that he saw out the corner of his eye a fireball that made me disappear. I have never seen him so concerned or worried in my life. He thought that I had burned probably my entire body and was surprised that my feet were not burned. He later laughed at the smell of burned hair that permeated the house. I had burnt all the hair off my hands and all the way up my arms to my elbows. After all this I was just still in so much pain he told me to go lay in the bedroom with the ac on. This did help a little bit since it was cool in there. He also wrapped my hands up. When we finally went to sleep it was not easy to do. Being pregnant I have been sleeping horrible as it is and with both hands burned it didn't make it any easier. Anything that touched them made me wake up in pain.
I was hoping the next day would bring relief but it didn't. I came out of the bedroom to sit on the couch. Probably withing 10-15 mins I was crying again because the heat that was in the house was hurting my hands so badly. Not only that but my face started to sting. I guess it was a delayed response, but my face just felt like I had gotten to much sun. My mom and aunt called to check on me and told me that I need to put neosporum on my hands and keep them covered and stay in a cool place. So I went back into the bedroom after I got off the phone with them. I was still in pain so I called Ricky and he told me just to stay in the bedroom and stay cool and that he would be home to fix me some lunch during his break. I guess he was still worried about me since got some advise from a teachers wife that I should put vagisal on my hands to help the burn. The strongest stuff we had in the house was .7 % Lidicaine. At this point I was still in pain and would have tried anything. So he came home and fixed me a bite to eat for me and him then ran back to school since he was late getting back. That afternoon Ricky brings me this beautiful and big purple flowered orchid home and some video's for us to watch in the bed.
Today they are feeling a bit better but they are still swollen and pale. Still no pigment but noticed a couple of small blisters that have came up and I haven't gotten my blood really flowing back to them but it is enough that they are staying warm to the touch. I still hate the oven and can't bear to even think about using it again. It is really scarry that our gas tank sits right beside the oven and that it could have exploded. The hose that is attached to the tank is all cracked too. The worse part besides the pain is that I never even smelled any gas. I have had the lite go out before and smelled the gas mixture but not that time. So there was nothing that I could have done any different. All I know is that labor pain is over quicker than this.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
OH GOSH!!! I'm so sorry girl! I'm glad that you are okay and it wasn't any worse than it is, although it sounds awful. :( Be careful girl! I can't have anything happening to my Amy! Miss you! A little over two more months and you'll be home. :) YAY!
Post a Comment