Monday, April 21, 2008

LAS (Large Animal Society) Annual Chili Cook-Off

One day Ricky comes home from class to tell me that he and Justin have signed up for a chili cook-off. I start to ask questions about when, where, you know just more about this thing. He has really no answer to any of the questions but thankfully one of the people on facebook invited me to it and was able to find the answers to all the questions. Me and Ashlee get to talking about this and she tells me that Justin has never cooked chili before and I tell her that Ricky doesn't follow any recipes. So we have no idea what this is going to come out as. All we were told was their goal was to make Dr.Gupta's eye water. The day of the event comes and we all go to the Caribbean House where it is being held. There was a total of 4 contestants. They had to name the chili and CeCe came up with Boomshaklaka so it just stuck. Some of the other chili names were like the colon cleanser and 4th term sucks. I can't remember the other one. Their chili was placed in the mild/medium catergory. They were being judged by the judges and then by the people. A bunch of their classmates came out to support the guys which was really nice. It was being judges by a few of their professors. Here they are taking it seriously and studying the chili's.
Overall, they won 2nd place with the judges and 1st place in the peoples choice. Justin and Rick ended up winning a $200 dollar gift certificate to The Red Crab, a bottle of wine and a $100 gift certificate to Carib Sushi. Luckily someone wanted to trade the sushi for 2 free pizza's that they had won. The only bad part of this whole deal, was that I was going to have to come home and see the huge mess that was made. The kitchen looked like something had blown up in it. Boy was it a mess. Thankfully I have a great husband who cleaned the mess up.

Ashlee and me were excited because it was going to be two nights where we would not have to cook. We just went to The Red Crab on Friday night. Justin, Ashlee and me had steak (which was damned good) and Rick had the Mahi-Mahi (had to be good since he plate was empty). For appetizers Rick had a nice salad and I had french onion soup. I think the soup was even better than what I get back home. It was a really good meal at a nice restaurant. I can't wait until we try out the pizza's.

No comments: