Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Day in Carriacou

Well let me just get to the point. I was disappointed in the island. While I had a good time with Ashlee and Pat but it was just not what I expected. I thought that it was just going to be a smaller version of Grenada. I was wrong. I guess it started with the fact that I couldn't get any perked coffee on that island. Who would figure it since we are so close to Columbia that it would be hard to find some good coffee. I was hoping that we would be able to stop off at Ritual's Coffee House on the way to St. George and get a quick bite to eat. But of course, there was an accident on Marice Bishop Highway were some dumb ass ran into the back of a St. George's school bus. It might have something to do with the fact that the previous night all I ate was some watermelon for dinner so I was hungry and getting pretty pissy from not eating any breakfast.

We were told to get there on Thursday by 8:30 but the ferry didn't leave until after 9am. It took a little over 2 hours to get there. That was no problem with me since I am used to going out with my husband and father-in-law fishing in the Gulf and it generally takes about that long to reach it. I took the time to read some of my book.
Pat knew someone on the ferry. It was the boyfriend of the daughter who's brother she tutored here. Got that LOL. The boyfriend Michel was coming over for the day to hangout with Daniella who went there on a plane earlier that morning. All this will come in handy later on in the story.
We got there and it was a little after 11 so we were getting hungry. The first place we stopped at we asked for 2 coffee's and a coke. We were given instant coffee that was horrible and off brand coke. After the nasty coffee, I asked for a sprite, but they brought me something totally different. We were gonna eat but the menu was limited at best. Ashlee and I were going to order pizza but all they had vegetarian pizza so I didn't order it. Ashlee and I were wanting peperoni pizza.
At that point we decided to continue our search for food. Eventually we made it to a hotel that had a restaurant in it. Again I asked for perked coffee and the lady said yes that she had it, come to find out it was again instant. UGGG. Well Ashlee and I had 2 slices of pizza that were so small that a baby could have eaten it but was good. Pat had the Jerk Chicken dinner which she enjoyed. They had the best passion fruit drink. It was great. Overall it was a good and cheap meal. Afterwards we went and hung out on the beach. It was a nice beach where the water was so calm without any current.
Daniella and Michel caught up with us at the beach. Daniella just brought Michel a spear gun so they were going to go look for something to spear. Daniella found a pretty big and beautiful starfish. They also found a sand dollar. Well she had to leave earlier and so that is when we started to get bothered by the local men. I ignored them most of the time. They kept trying to wave at us and one even came and sat next to Ashlee trying talk to her. I ended up getting bothered by one local who "loved my figure". Ugg. He never got the point. Told him I was married he said that wasn't a problem. He wanted my number and I told him that my husband wouldn't appreciate him calling his phone. He proceeded to tell me that he would buy me my own phone. They just don't get it. It was perfect timing that the ferry was pulling up so we had to go. He kept talking to me while I was getting my stuff together and followed me all the way up to the docks. By the way the ferry was supposed to be there at 3:30 and it was closer to 4:00 when it got there. More time that they were able to bother us. The trip back was quicker and I was so glad to see my husband when we got back to St. George.

When we got back we all plotted on going to Ritual's Coffee House so that I could get me some real coffee. It was one of those days when you have it in your mind what you want, that you are not going to be satisfied until you get it. While I was in line I told Ashlee that I thought that I would have never had said that I was happy to be back in Grenada. Pat, Rick and I got our coffee fix and Ashlee had a delicious smoothie. We were all really bad and ate some great donuts. Yummy. It was a great way to end the day.

No comments: