Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sophia has arrived - Our greatest gift from God

As my last post said such is my life. Sophia has arrived and we are so thrilled. The previous Sunday I had every attention of calling the doctor the next day to schedule a c-section but Sophia had other plans. That Sunday night I started to have pretty regular contractions for about an hour or so but didn't think anything about it. Ricky had made a comment when we went to bed that evening that he was going to try and get some sleep since he thought it was going to be a long night. I was sceptical about it since the contractions had stopped. Sure enough about an hour later I had just turned off the tv and started to fall asleep when I felt something like a snap and a little moisture but that was it. Then a few minutes later I felt a gush. I shook Ricky and told him "I think my water broke". He felt me and was like yep ok. So I get up and took a shower while Ricky called my doctors and waited for a call back. This is after I called my mom who was 3 hours away so she could get on the road in time. So before we leave I wake his mom up and tell her my water broke and I was going to the hospital. My water broke about 12:15 and I got to the hospital about 1:30 Monday morning. I was apparently were the third prego to come in that night and I was in line right behind the second one. So we get checked in and I decide I want to walk to labor and delivery. I get there and checked in and about that time his mom had arrived. The first thing I let the nurse know was that I was breech with babies feet down. She said that she would call the doctor and let him know. My doctor and the other doctors from my chosen practice were not on call so I saw the attending. He was really nice and a bit older. He checked me and typical me I was only dilated to 2 cm and Sophia was still breech. The lady that was in line with me was dilated at 5 cm and so we were trying to figure out when I would be going into surgery. Lucky she went fairly quickly because at 5:10 am on Monday Feb. 23, 2009 I had Sophia Lake Grenoble. Ricky was able to be there with me through everything except when they gave me a spinal tap. I was actually given a spinal tap by the chief of the cardiac ward. So they pulled her out and the first thing I hear is that she pooped and them saying that is a good sign. So my kid pooped on me on her way out. Then they held her over the screen so that I could see her. The next thing they cleaned her up and I was able to watch since they had the thing up towards my head. She scored a 9 on her Apgar test. Once they got her swaddled they gave her to Ricky and he brought her over to me so I could really see her. He was able to hold her near me for abut 5 minutes before they took her to the nursery while they sewed me up. So it was 4.5 hours later that I was able to hold her for the first time. O yeah and my mom got there just before she was born but not in time to see me before I went back to the surgery room. She weighted 7 lbs and 4.3 oz and she was 19 1/2 inches long. We were able to go home on her actual due date which was going to be her birth date if she would have waited for me to schedule the c-section. So Ricky was not able to win his bet that she would be born on her due date. She also passed her hearing test on the 1st try perfectly. They said that is really uncommon since most c-section babies don't pass the test normally, since they do not pass through the birth canal which would squeeze the junk out of there ears. The lactation consult visited me the first day too and Sophia had no problems at latching on. So it seems that all of the problems I had during my pregnancy are not continuing after her birth. She is so perfect. I just want to look at her all the time. I keep asking Ricky how do two imperfect people make such a perfect baby. She already has daddy wrapped around her finger. He has done so great with her. He changes her diapers more than I do and enjoys burping her. We kept her in the room with us so he was able to help from the very beginning. When we came home one night last week I was so sleep deprived that at 3 am he stayed up with her all night until she needed to be fed. I was so exhausted and she had gas and was being fussy if you put her down. He was heaven sent that night and I felt horrible since he had to work that day. I kept thinking that she looked like me when I was a baby until I saw Ricky's newborn picture and I have to saw she looks so much like him when he was that age. I am so surprised at how quickly she has already changed. She can hold her head up for a couple of seconds, has discovered her hands, her umbilical cord came off in 6 days and she can turn on her side and eventually on her tummy if you put her on a soft surface.

Today we had our 1st outing. It would have been Monday when she would have been exactly a week old but instead it really snowed and she had her 1st snow day. Today we went to the doctors for her 1st check up. She left the hospital at 6 lbs and 10 oz and 10 days later she now weights 7 lbs and 1 oz. The doctor says she is doing very good and unless anything happens he will see her in a month. So I guess I will now put some pictures up. She has had so many taken it is unbelievable. She had over a 1000 I know in the 1st week. Ricky says we are going to burn her corneas with the flash.

2 comments:

Justin & Ashlee said...

I love all the pictures! And I was glad to hear the "story" of her birth. Thanks for sharing. You look great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy & Rick

Congratulations. She is a sweetie! So glad that everything went well for you. Now Rylee will have a little playmate. Love Ashlee's mom